Monday, November 1, 2010

Vegan MoFo




Well, I was too chicken to sign up for Vegan MoFo however I just made some cupcakes for my kids so why not share? Maybe I'll try to participate in the MoFo without actually committing. It's a busy month here so I'll just see what happens.

Back to the cupcakes. My last attempt at vanilla cupcakes was an epic fail. Into the trash they went. I thought I'd try the vanilla cupcake recipe made famous by Chef Chloe--first vegan chef to win the Cupcake Wars of Food Network. The batter was very tasty. Into the oven it went. The recipe said to cook for 15-20 minutes. Mine seemed to need 25-27 minutes. As they cooled, several of the cupcakes collapsed. The 2 in the middle are a mess. One of the outside cupcakes is also quite sunken. It may be because I left the baking stone in the oven. I'll try to make another batch with the stone removed to see if there is an improvement.

For me, chocolate frosting is always good on vanilla cupcakes. I am not a fan of powdered sugar frostings due to the gritty nature of the frosting. Before becoming vegan, I was a big proponent of French buttercream. Totally NOT vegan. I did, however, find a recipe for a cooked chocolate frosting made with cornstarch: http://www.grouprecipes.com/1834/vegan-chocolate-frosting.html. It got good reviews so I thought I'd give it a go. It does have a smooth texture but I'm already considering some modifications to this.

I'll post some pictures (hopefully) and the kid quality review later.

No comments: